As a secondary/general education teacher at Jefferson Hills, you enjoy the chance to be creative, developing curriculum that engages and encourages our students with diverse special needs including behavior and mental health issues. We provide small class sizes and the opportunity to work on a multidisciplinary team with other educators, therapist, and medical professionals. Together, we make a difference in the lives of our children and youth every day. Join us!
-Locations: Aurora & Lakewood
Special Education Teacher Position Purpose:
Special education teachers at Jefferson Hills provide education to children and youth with diverse specials needs including mental and behavioral health issues. Responsibilities include:
- Prepares lessons in advance for all assigned classes; provides written lesson plans to the principal upon request.
- Modifies and adjusts curriculum to meet remedial and/or enrichment needs of students; coordinates curriculum with regular education teachers as needed.
- Demonstrates effective use of Teaching Assistants in the classroom, including a coordinated team approach to meet the unique needs of students and to manage classroom behaviors.
- Maintains classroom management techniques to ensure the safety and security of students and staff.
- Collaborates/communicates effectively and consistently with all members of Jefferson Hills’ multidisciplinary team and with all outside agencies on a regular basis.
- Works with Education Coordinator to implement IEP process.
- Attends IEP meetings, completes testing, and participates in the IEP process in conjunction with state and federal requirements. Communicates IEP & transition goals and objectives with regular education teachers and other education staff, Treatment Coordinator, and unit staff; tracks progress.
- Keeps accurate and timely students records, completes Monthly Academic Progress Reports and Discharge Summaries within prescribed time lines.
- Attends &/or gives input to all Case Conferences for students on assigned caseload.
- Maintains a professional relationship with parents and guardians of the students.
- Maintains up to date certification in CPR, First Aid, and CPI.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical restraints with clients using required CPI techniques.
- This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with this job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
- Current Colorado State Teaching License endorsed in SPED or Core Academic (Secondary or K-12)
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related discipline
- Experience working with students with Asperger’s Syndrome preferred.
- Please apply by sending your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements with Teacher, Secondary/General Education (location preferred) noted in the subject line to JHillHR@jcmh.org.
- Jefferson Hills is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D
- Applicants must be 21 years or older.
NOTE: This position works in a licensed, residential child care facility. Drug screen and rigorous background check required for employment.
Jefferson Hills offers a comprehensive, affordable benefits program including health, dental and vision coverage, 403(b) with company match and long and short term disability plans. We seek to provide professional learning and development through ongoing training and a tuition reimbursement program. Jefferson Hills is an equal opportunity employer. For qualified candidates, we offer a comprehensive induction program for teachers seeking a Professional Teaching License.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE