Want to make a difference? Join our team of dedicated professionals providing support and treatment to at-risk children and youth facing mental health, child welfare and criminal justice issues. Through our Crisis Stabilization Unit (CSU), Staff Secure Residential Unit (SSR), hospital diversion program (New Vistas) and Jefferson Hills Academy, we use some of the most current practices, interventions and protocols to address the complex needs of vulnerable youth and their families.
Supervisor Milieu Counselor Position Purpose:
The Milieu Supervisor has the responsibility for the overall operation of the unit for a particular shift. S/he is under the direct supervision of the Program Manager. The Milieu Supervisor is responsible for the safety and security of the residents, staff, and facility as well as the coordination and delivery of quality program service. S/he adheres to all policies and procedures of Jefferson Hills. Employees implement procedures to provide for a safe and secure program, establishing clear behavioral expectations and implementing appropriate positive or negative consequences within established guidelines and should be able to interact with and view youth from a strength-based perspective. The Milieu Supervisor provides leadership and direction for the Milieu Staff. S/he participates in the on-going assessment and development of the program under the direct supervision of the Program Manager.Responsibilities include:
- Supervises, coordinates, and plans resident activities in accordance with the resident’s treatment plans in order to facilitate and maintain the safety and security of the residents and staff. Handles concerns and issues in a timely and appropriate manner in order to assure consistent and equal treatment of all staff.
- Trains staff effectively on job duties and orients new staff to the Unit and the job. Completes the orientation checklist with all new employees assigned to them.
- Communicates clearly and effectively with staff, accepting and integrating feedback from them and insuring that they have full understanding of the job duties assigned to them.
- Directly supervises the Milieu Counselors on a daily basis to provide them with direction regarding daily expectations, education, and feedback. Ensures that the Milieu Counselors chart using the D.A.P. format and that documentation is completed accurately.
- Provides written monthly supervision of staff that they are assigned to supervise.
- Monitors residents’ use of medication as prescribed by the residents’ assigned Physician by documenting that the correct dosage was taken, keeping accurate medication inventory, and noting any medication errors in order to insure health and safety of the residents.
- Ensures that all staff follows the established behavior management program including Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) protocol and completion of paperwork related to seclusion/restraints, critical incidents, and unusual incidents in order to keep accurate and up to date information and records on residents at all times.
- Ensures that staff commits to and maintains appropriate boundaries at all times by modeling and discussing how important boundaries are to the safety and security of staff and residents.
- Addresses and resolves grievances in a timely and effective manner.
- Contributes to treatment team meetings and staffing's by supplying information regarding the activities on the unit and requesting feedback from staff regarding any pertinent issues.
- Conducts self in a professional manner by role modeling, continued professional growth, and carrying out therapeutic rapport with residents in order to set an example for staff and residents.
- Ensures residents are educated regarding JH programs and policies by providing orientation to new residents to promote a smooth transition into life at Jefferson Hills. Completes all necessary paperwork for the resident’s transition into and out of facility.
- Assesses the needs of the shift to ensure staffing patterns are adequate to meet coverage demands in order to ensure safety and security of staff and residents.
- Provides information to Program Manager and Therapists on a timely basis in order to facilitate effective coordination of services both internally and externally.
- Completes all trainings in Essential Learning in a timely manner.
- Follows and enforces all Jefferson Hills’ Policies and Procedures, particularly but not limited to confidentiality, sexual harassment/harassment, dual relationships, physical and sexual abuse reporting, Corporate Compliance and Code of Ethics.
- Minimum: High school diploma plus 6 years relevant experience, AA plus 4 years relevant experience, or BA plus 2 years relevant experience.
- Experience facilitating group activities and therapy.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all members of the team verbally and in writing.
- A high degree of maturity, social skills, written and verbal communication, and clinical/administrative judgment. Ability to relate successfully to a wide variety of professional and lay persons. Ability to deal decisively with practical matters and in crisis situations.
- Ability and strength to physically perform CPI techniques.
- Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to the email listed below, with “Milieu Counselor (Supervisor)" noted in the subject line to JHillHR@jcmh.org.
- Jefferson Hills is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D
- Applicants must be 21 years or older.
NOTE: This position works in a licensed, residential child care facility. Drug screen and rigorous background check required for employment.
Jefferson Hills offers a comprehensive, affordable benefits program including health, dental and vision coverage, 403(b) with company match and long and short term disability plans. We seek to provide professional learning and development through ongoing training and a tuition reimbursement program. Jefferson Hills is an equal opportunity employer.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE