Want to make a difference? Join our team of dedicated professionals providing support and treatment to at-risk children and youth facing mental health, child welfare and criminal justice issues. Through our Crisis Stabilization Unit (CSU), Staff Secure Residential Unit (SSR), hospital diversion program (New Vistas) and Jefferson Hills Academy, we use some of the most current practices, interventions and protocols to address the complex needs of vulnerable youth and their families.
Nurse Practitioner Position Purpose:
Provide psychiatric services at Jefferson Hills for the children/youth population. These services include: psychiatric evaluation, medication evaluations and individual and medication management. Identify potential physical problems impacting the mental health of children/youth and order and monitor appropriate laboratory tests. Provide consultation, education, and mentoring of the clinical staff. Communicate and collaborate with other prescribers and healthcare providers in the overall health management of the children/youth. Responsibilities Include:
- Provides psychiatric diagnostic/medication evaluations and individual and group medication management. Provide children/youth and families with all necessary medication education and psycho-education.
- Consults to nurses in triaging phone calls, addressing medication problems, and requests for refills. Responds promptly to nurse’s questions or requests.
- Orders and monitors appropriate laboratory tests at clinically indicated frequency.
- Monitors and reviews children/youth charts for medication/medical issues with appropriate follow-up.
- Provides medical provider review of medical records as clinically indicated, and as required by contracts or as necessitated state or federal regulations.
- Provides crisis support for clinical emergencies as arranged.
- Provides after-hours on-call psychiatric services at frequency negotiated with the Executive Director.
- Attends mandatory training and complies with individualized training plans if required.
- Reports high risk/problem cases and solicits consultation and help as needed. Attends supervision at times and intervals agreed upon with supervisor, and incorporates supervision into clinical practice and job performance.
- Completes 95% of all paperwork by the due date.
- Engages children/youth and their families in the treatment process and goal-setting. Identifies/provides appropriate intervention for risk factors including lethality. Works constructively with children/youth to reach agreed upon outcome, and coordinates care with internal and external providers.
- Maintains appropriate professional boundaries and standards
- Provides appropriate follow-up with receiving prescriber as indicated.
- Exhibits professionalism, enthusiasm, courtesy, adaptability, flexibility, and spirit of cooperation in the work environment.
- Maintains effective interpersonal relations with children/youth, peers, management, visitors, and the general public.
- Effectively responds to children/youth/family needs and problems, initiates and maintains positive interactions, and provides timely response to phone calls, pages, email and other requests.
- Works cooperatively with other community agencies. As appropriate and as agreed with supervisor, participates in committees, task forces, of Jefferson Hills or the community.
- There may be other, site or program specific responsibilities that are negotiated and agreed upon by the Lead Psychiatrist and the Executive Director.
Education, Knowledge, Skills & Experience Required:
- Current Advanced Practice Nurses (APN). Nurse Practitioner must understand residential treatment of children/adolescents, community mental health systems of care and principles of managed healthcare.
- Nurse Practitioner must be knowledgeable and current with regard to psychopharmacology, medical/psychiatric interface, and evidence-based neuropsychiatric/neurobehavioral diagnosis and treatment.
- Nurse Practitioner must be able to provide leadership and collaboration with multidisciplinary mental health team in the delivery of comprehensive and integrated clinically appropriate interventions.
- Basic computer skills such as e-mail, word processing, interface with/documentation in electronic medical record and prescription writing are required.
- Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements with Nurse Practitioner noted in the subject line to JHillHR@jcmh.org.
- Jefferson Hills is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D.
- Applicants must be 21 years or older.
NOTE: This position works in a licensed, residential child care facility. Drug screen and rigorous background check required for employment.
Jefferson Hills offers a comprehensive, affordable benefits program including health, dental and vision coverage, 403(b) with company match and long and short term disability plans. We seek to provide professional learning and development through ongoing training and a tuition reimbursement program. Jefferson Hills is an equal opportunity employer.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE