Want to make a difference? Join our team of dedicated professionals providing support and treatment to at-risk children and youth facing mental health, child welfare and criminal justice issues. Through our Crisis Stabilization Unit (CSU), Staff Secure Residential Unit (SSR), hospital diversion program (New Vistas) and Jefferson Hills Academy, we use some of the most current practices, interventions and protocols to address the complex needs of vulnerable youth and their families.
Milieu Counselor Position Purpose:
-Multiple shifts open including on-call and overnight
Under the direction of the Milieu Counselor Supervisor, Milieu Counselors provide a supportive, structured environment for adolescent clients (residents) in order to promote resident growth and to ensure both staff and resident safety. He/she works individually and in small groups with residents to achieve positive outcomes and to provide a basis for clients to function successfully in the community. Responsibilities include:
- Educates new residents on programs, processes and rules at assigned Jefferson Hills facilities.
- Facilitates small group activities that promote healthy social interactions and positive engagement with other residents and staff.
- Provides structure based on predictable and fair limit setting, demonstrating and modeling appropriate boundaries to the residents at all times to ensure resident and staff safety.
- Participates on interdisciplinary team to coordinate care and ensure compliance with treatment plan. Charts client notes accurately and on time into TIER medical record system using required formats and procedures. Records and follows up on client grievances.
- Initiates low level interventions and manages crisis situations using Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) to ensure safety of residents and staff.
- Performs all daily paperwork, related to safety checks, room checks, head count, and room searches, as assigned, in order to document all necessary facts and provide accurate records for each resident.
- Communicates professionally, positively and effectively with residents, families and co-workers, maintaining respect, tact, courtesy, and adherence to agency policies; demonstrating critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Facilitates crisis groups, as directed by shift supervisor, using a defined intervention model; assesses possible crisis situations, de-escalates when possible and provides interventions as needed.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical restraints with clients using required CPI techniques.
- This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with this job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
- Minimum high school diploma plus 1 year relevant experience; AA or BA/BS plus relevant experience preferred. Some experience may be substituted for the required education.
- Knowledge of psychological, behavioral, and social systems principles, family systems theory and interventions as they relate to the job.
- Ability to facilitate group activities. Capable of high quality documentation. Ability to teach and work with mentally ill residents.
- Experience in mental health or related field in inpatient, residential, crisis prevention, juvenile corrections, or other similar settings strongly preferred.
- Must be willing to work any unit as assigned.
- Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements with Milieu Counselor (New Vistas) noted in the subject line to JHillHR@jcmh.org.
- Jefferson Hills is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D.
- Applicants must be 21 years or older.
NOTE: This position works in a licensed, residential child care facility. Drug screen and rigorous background check required for employment.
Jefferson Hills offers a comprehensive, affordable benefits program including health, dental and vision coverage, 403(b) with company match and long and short term disability plans. We seek to provide professional learning and development through ongoing training and a tuition reimbursement program. Jefferson Hills is an equal opportunity employer.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Keywords: direct care staff, direct care professional, residential treatment, behavioral technician, behavioral specialist, mental health technician, mental health worker, counselor, worker/counselor, residential care counselor, residential counselor